Solve online subtractions with our calculator. Just type in the numbers involved in the operation and press the calculate button to get the result.
You can subtract up to four numbers but if you don't have that many, you can leave their value blank and they will not be taken into account.
Parts of subtraction
Identify the parts of a subtraction es muy fácil. Si tenemos una resta del tipo (x - y) = z, entonces:
- Minuendo:is the first term of the operation, that is, x.
- Subtrahendis the second term of the subtraction which, in the case of the formula, would be the value of y
- Differenceis the result we obtain when we solve the subtraction. It is also known as remainder.
Subtractions with leading subtractions
It is very important to know the parts of the subtraction in order to be able to solving subtractions with leading ones. With this method, we will start solving the operation by the units and move to the left.
Two cases can occur when subtracting each block:
- That the minuend be greater than the subtrahendin this case we do the subtraction directly.
- The minuend must be less than the subtrahend.. In this case we put a one in front of the units of the minuend. That 1 that we have added, we will subtract it to the next digit of the minuend.
For example, if we perform the subtraction with leading that we have a few lines above step by step we have to:
- 9 - 2 = 7
- 8 - 1 = 7
- 5 - 7 no podemos resolverlo. Le añadimos el 1 al minuendo y nos queda 15 - 7 = 8
- Ahora restamos el 1 de antes a 7 y nos queda la resta de 6 - 3 = 3
Finally, the result of the subtraction with example leading is 3877.
The operation of subtraction has a number of properties that differ from those we have in the sumTherefore, you must know them in order not to make mistakes when adding up several numbers:
No associative property
The associative property states that the order in which we group the elements of an operation does not matter. since the result will not be altered. However, this does not happen in subtraction because depending on how we make these groupings, the result will be totally different in each case. This can be seen represented below:
(x - y) - z ≠ x - (y - z) ≠ (x - z ) - y
In any of the three possible cases, the result of the operation will always be different. Let's see it with a practical example to make it much clearer. First of all, let's set the value for each of the variables:
- x = 2
- y = 3
- z = 6
We now solve each of the three possible scenarios to see the result in each of them:
- (x - y) - z = (2 - 3) - 6 = -7
- x - (y - z) = 2 - (3 - 6) = 5
- (x - z) - y = (2 - 6) - 3 = -7
As can be seen, we do not always obtain the same result, so qe have shown that subtraction has no associative property.
No commutative property
The commutative property states that the order of the elements in the operation does not matter since the result will always be the same but again, this is not true for subtraction:
x + y ≠ y + x
If we apply it to a practical example we have that:
4 - 3 ≠ 3 - 4
The neutral element in the subtraction is the number 0.. This means that any number from which we subtract zero will have its initial value:
x - 0 = x
Applying the neutral element to a practical example we have that:
2 - 0 = 2
Subtraction of fractions
If you need to make a subtraction of fractionsWe also have for you a calculator designed for this purpose. In it you will have to write the numerator and denominator of each one of the two fractions and you will be able to calculate their subtraction automatically, obtaining the result in irreducible or decimal format.