If you want to calculate the percentage of a numberHere you will find a very easy to use tool for this purpose.
All you have to do is write the percentage of a given amount and press the calculate button to get the result you are looking for. If you are looking for another tool to get the percent, keep reading because we have many more percentage calculators for you.
- How is the percentage of a number calculated?
- Calculation of the total from the quantity and percentage
- How to calculate the percentage that an amount represents with respect to the total amount
- Calculate percentages in Excel
- How to calculate percentage increase
- Other uses of percentages
- How the online percentage calculator works
- Calculate the percentage with a calculator
- Calculate the percentage quickly
How is the percentage of a number calculated?
Before moving on to the practical part, let's look at a bit of theory. When we talk about percentage, we are referring to a division made in 100 parts. With this we can deduce that when we want to calculate the percentage of a number, we are dividing it into 100 and keeping the ones we are interested in.
For example, if we want to calculate the 20% of the number 100, we can see it very clearly. The result of that operation would be equal to 20.
To quantify this more clearly with a mathematical formulaTo calculate the percentage of a number, we can do it in the following way:
% of a number = number x percentage/100.
Example: let's calculate the 32% of the number 45:
% = 45 x 32/100 = 14.4
As you can see, calculating the percentage of a number is very easy.
Calculation of the total from the quantity and percentage
In the case that we want to calculate the total of an amount from a number and the percentage it represents of that total amount, then we have to pose the problem as follows:
If x is the y% of a total quantity, then that total quantity is z.
For example, let's imagine that we want to calculate the total if we know that 50 represents 10% of the total. Then the calculation we have to do is:
50*100/10 = 500
Calculate the total with the amount and percentage it represents in Excel
Although Excel does not have a specific function for to obtain the total from a quantity and the % that representsBy following the steps in the video, we can easily make an automatic spreadsheet.
We simply have to write in one cell the amount and in another cell the percentage that it represents that figure with respect to the total. Subsequently, we place ourselves in an empty cell and write the following formula:
=Initial quantity/% which represents
In the formula you will have to write the quantities directly or indicate the coordinates of the cells in which you have written each variable.
If you have doubts about how it is done, in the video above you can see the step-by-step instructions on how it is done.
How to calculate the percentage that an amount represents with respect to the total amount
There is a third scenario in the search for the percentage which consists of obtaining the percentage that an amount represents with respect to the total.
For that you have to use the percentage calculator that you have just above these lines, writing the amount and the total so that when you click on the calculate button, you will obtain the percentage that it represents.
If you want to learn how to calculate the percentage that an amount represents with respect to the totalthe following formula must be applied:
% = (quantity x 100) / total
Let's see it with a practical example in which we have to calculate the percentage that represents 25 with respect to 200. We apply the previous formula and we have that:
% = (25 x 100) / 200 = 12.5%
Get the percentage of a quantity with respect to the total in Excel
If you want to use Excel to calculate the percentage of an amount from totalYou can also do it by following the steps shown in the video above.
The operation is very simple. Just open a new spreadsheet and type in a cell the following formula:
= quantity / total
Para que el resultado se represente en forma de porcentaje, tienes que seleccionar la celda dónde sale el resultado, pulsar con el botón derecho del ratón sobre ella y entrar en el apartado de "Formato de celdas". Una vez dentro, be sure to check the percentage categoryby selecting the number of decimal places you need.
There are other options to tell Excel that a cell represents a percentage, here is another one in which you only have to press the button with a % represented:
After clicking on the accept button, you will see that the percentage that represents the amount you have written in Excel with respect to the total.
Calculate percentages in Excel
Calculate percentages in Excel is very easy if you follow the instructions in the video above. To do this, you just have to open a new spreadsheet and write in different cells the number from which you want to calculate the percentage and in another cell, the percentage.
When you have done so, type in another empty cell the following formula for calculating percentages in Excel:
Note that A1 and B1 refer to the cells in which we have placed the two parameters needed to calculate the percentage of the number. This way we will build our own percentage calculator in Excel so that by changing either of the two values, we can automatically calculate the percentage of any amount.
If you prefer, you can simplify this process by by multiplying directly by the percentage you want to calculate as you can see in the image above.
In that example, we are calculating the 21% of 699, an operation that we usually do on a regular basis for calculate the VAT of a price.
How to calculate percentage increase
If you want to calculate the percentage of increase or increase between two quantities, you can use the tool we have just provided.
If you want to learn how to calculate the percentage increase from its formula, the process you have to do is as follows:
- Write the initial value and the final value
- Subtract the final value minus the initial value to obtain the increment. This value can be positive if it is an increase or negative if it is a decrease.
- The value obtained in the previous step is divided by the initial value.
- Finally, we multiply the result by 100 to obtain the percentage increase between the two amounts.
Let's see it with an example in which we have:
- Initial value: 220
- Final value: 250
Applying the steps seen in the previous theory we have that:
Incremento = 250 - 220 = 30
30 / 220 = 0,136
0.136 x 100 =13.6%
As you can see, in a few steps we have calculated the percentage of increase between two quantities.
How to calculate percentage increase in Excel
Of course, in Excel, we can automate the calculation of the percentage of increase by typing the following formula in an empty cell:
=((valor final - valor inicial)/valor inicial) * 100
If we solve the above example in Excel, the formula would look like this:
Other uses of percentages
As we have already mentioned, the use of percentages is very useful in the world of mathematics, so here are some other utilities in which it can be useful for you. useful to work with percentages.
- Change from decimal to percentageDid you know that you can express any quantity as a percentage? You can also convert from percentage to decimal in the same way using this other tool.
- Change from percentage to fractionThe calculator transforms a percentage as if it were a fraction, a very useful application to work with numerator and denominator, facilitating the task of simplification. Of course, we also have a calculator to perform the inverse operation, ie, change from fraction to percentage.
- Calculate rebate discountsWhen a discount is applied to the price of a product, it is always given as a percentage. Calculate the amount of money you will save based on the discount applied.
As you can see, there are many uses for percentages. Can you think of any more? Surely there are many more.
How the online percentage calculator works
Our calculator with percentage works in a very simple way so that you can get the percentage of any number in a very easy way.
As you can see, you only have to fill in the following fields:
- Percentage %is the percentage you want to calculate
- Numberis the figure from which you want to calculate the above percentage.
For example, if you want to calculate 21 percent of 200, you will have to type 21 in the percentage field and 200 in the number field. We know this sounds very trivial, but we don't want you to have any doubts when using our percentage calculator.
Here are some other tools for calculate percentages determined:
- Calculate 10 percent
- Obtain 15 percent of an amount
- Take 20% out of a quantity
- Finding the 25% of a number
- Calculate 30 percent of a number
- Get 70 percent of something
- Calculate the 75%
Calculate the percentage with a calculator
Many calculators already have a specific button to calculate percentages. This is an everyday operation, so both on our cell phone and on the computer we will find the option to easily extract percentages.
As an example we will use the iOS or Mac calculator although in the rest the operation is the same. If, for example, we want to obtain the percentage of savings of a 10% discount on a price of 1,000 €, this is the key combination that we would have to press:
10 → % → x → 1000 → =.
Yes your calculator does not have % keyIf you want to calculate the percentage, you can calculate the percentage theoretically by simply multiplying 1000 x 0.1.
In case you are interested, here you have some of them. financial calculators that will allow you to get percentages as well as other useful functions.
Calculate the percentage quickly
There are a number of tricks that will allow you to calculate the percentage of a number quickly and without using a calculator:
- If we are asked to calculate the 10% of a number we only have to divide by 10, i.e. move the decimal point one position to the left. For example, if we are asked to calculate the 10% of 4.3, the result will be 0.43.
- In the case of calculate the 1%If the decimal point is not the same as the decimal point, we have to divide by 100 (move the decimal point two positions to the left).
- In the case of calculating a percent as 20%, 30%, 40%, 40%, 20%, 30% and 40%etc. The first thing to do is to calculate the 10% (divide by 10) and then multiply the result obtained by 2, 3, 4, etc. respectively. For example, if we are asked to calculate the 50% of 5, we obtain that the 10% of that amount is 0.5. Then we multiply by 5 and the final result is 2.5.
- For calculate the 2%, 3%, 4%etc. of a number up to 9%, what we have to do is to calculate the 1% of that amount and then multiply the result by 2, 3, 4 as appropriate.
- If we want to calculate 15 percent quicklyIf we find the 10%, we first find the 10% and then divide the result obtained by 2. The result will be the sum of the 10% and the calculated half. For example, the 15% of 10 will be 1 + 0.5 = 1.5.
- For to remove the 25% we will divide the amount by 4. If we are asked for calculate 75 percentdivide by 4 and multiply the result by 3.
These are some of the tricks that exist for calculate the percentage Do you know of any other? Leave us a comment and tell us which method you use.
In any case, you have at our disposal the percentage calculators to obtain any percent without formula and immediately
Ingeniero de Telecomunicaciones dedicado al mundo de Internet. En esta web te ayudo a hacer cálculos y conversiones sencillas que con el paso de los años se nos ha olvidado cómo se hace. Si tienes dudas, déjame un comentario y te ayudaré. Si quieres mejorar tu proyecto online o necesitas asesoramiento, write me a message.