With our division calculator you will know the result obtained by dividing two real numbers.
The operation of the division calculator with remainder is very simple since you only have to write the value of the dividend and the divisor. When you have done it, press the calculate button and you will get the result of the division in decimal form or broken down by quotient and remainder, all automatically to make it easier for you to perform the division.
- Parts of the division
- Types of division
- Division properties
- Sign rule for division of integers
- Easy division by unity followed by zeros
- Zero between zero: indeterminacy
- Divisibility criteria
- How to make divisions in Excel
- Division test
- Online division calculator, how it works
- Divisions with the scientific calculator
- Dividing fractions online
Parts of the division
Cuando hacemos una división del tipo "D : d = c", participan una serie de términos que es conveniente conocer:
- D is the dividendi.e., the number to which we want to apply the division.
- d is the divider or, in other words, the number by which we want to divide the dividend.
- c is the result of the division and is called quotient
What is the remainder of a division?
If the division is not exact, a fourth term appears, which we call rest and which is the remainder of the division. You can use our division calculator to check each of these terms above.
Types of division
- Exact DivisionThis type of division occurs when the remainder is zero (D = d - c). For example, if we divide 4 : 2 = 2
- Integer divisionin this case, the division results in a quotient and a remainder different from zero, so that D = d - c + r. A practical example of integer division can be 5 : 2 = 2 with remainder 1.
As with other mathematical operations, division also has a number of properties to know in order to avoid mistakes:
- Not commutativethat is, dividing 4 : 2 is not the same as dividing 2 : 4.
- Zero divided by any number equals zero. (0 : a = 0). If you have zero candy and you want to split it between two friends, how much candy does each friend get? That is, none because you have no candy.
- It cannot be divided by zero.
Sign rule for division of integers
If you are going to divide two integersIf the sign of the quotient is the absolute value of the division between the dividend and the divisor, you will get a quotient that is the absolute value of the division between the dividend and the divisor but whose sign follows the following rule of signs:
- + : + = +
- - : - = +
- + : - = -
- - : + = -
Easy division by unity followed by zeros
Si el divisor de nuestra división es la unidad (1) seguida de ceros (10, 100, 1000,...), realizar la operación es tan fácil como escribir el cociente y shift the comma to the left as many places as there are zeros accompanying the unit. Here are some examples:
- 132 : 1 = 132
- 132 : 10 = 13,2
- 132 : 100 = 1,32
- 132 : 1000 = 0,132
- 132 : 10000= 0,0132
Zero between zero: indeterminacy
One of the most frequently asked questions in exams, especially when studying limits in mathematics, is to calculate how much is zero divided by zero. Many, erroneously, say that the result is equal to zero but it is not true. 0/0 is an indeterminacy.
In the case of a division of type k/0in this case the operation is not defined. What we have to do is to solve the limit on the left and on the right to see if the result is equal to +infinity or equal to -infinity.
When you want to learn how to divide, the easy solution is to resort to a division calculator as ours. However, there are a number of tricks that help us to know if a number is divisible by any of the following figures:
- Between 2The number must end in 0 or an even number.
- Between 3The sum of all the digits that make up the number must be a multiple of 3.
- Between 4: the number formed by the last two digits is a multiple of 4
- Between 5The last digit of the number must be 0 or 5.
- Between 6The number must be divisible by 2 and by 3, both conditions at the same time.
- Between 7The result of subtracting the number without the units and twice the number of units must be 0 or a multiple of 7.
- Between 8You can divide a digit by 8 when the number formed by the last three digits is a multiple of 8.
- Between 9: the sum of all digits of the number is a multiple of 9
- Between 10only if the last digit is a 0.
Knowing these divisibility criteria can help us to solve divisions quickly and without resorting to the calculator.
How to make divisions in Excel
If you want to make your own division calculator in ExcelFollow the steps in the video above and you will be able to create your own division calculator using Microsoft's spreadsheet program or any other, as they usually use the same or very similar formulas.
Making divisions with quotient and remainder in Excel
If you want to obtain the quotient and remainder of a division in ExcelIf you do not use the formula, you must use the following mathematical formula for each one:
A1 being the coordinate of the dividend and A2 the coordinate of the divisor.
Making divisions with decimals in excel
If you want to obtain a division with decimals in excelyou have to write the following formula in a cell:
Remember that A1 and A2 are the coordinates of the cells in which the dividend and divisor are located respectively.
If you want to check if a division is solved correctly, there is the division test. how is it done?
To do the division test the following equality must be fulfilled:
Dividend = divisor x quotient + remainder
Explained theoretically, the division test tells us that the dividend has to be equal to the multiplication of the divisor by the quotient to which we have to add the value of the remainder. If this is not fulfilled, the division is not right.
We have put back the photograph with the parts of the division so that it is clear what to take when checking if the account is well done.
In the example of the photograph, we are going to check by means of the division test if it has been well resolved:
24 = 2 x 12 + 0
As we can see, the equality is fulfilled and therefore the account has been done correctly.
If you are learning to divide, the division test will help you to find out if you have solved the exercise correctly or not. You can also use our division calculator to check if the result you have obtained coincides with ours.
Online division calculator, how it works
If you still have doubts about how to use our full division calculatorBelow you have an explanatory video in which we propose several examples of this mathematical operation. If you are still not sure how to use it, leave us a comment and we will be happy to help you with whatever you need.
You simply have to keep in mind that the online division calculator that we have developed shows the same end result but expressed in two different ways:
- With decimalsThe result of the division (the quotient) is expressed in decimal form, so a comma separates the integer part from the decimal part.
- Calculator with remainderin this case, the result of the division is divided into the quotient on one side and the remainder on the other.
If you found the information provided here useful, share it in your networks or subscribe to our networks. You will be doing us a big favor and it doesn't cost you anything :)
Divisions with the scientific calculator
We are not going to tell you that with the scientific calculator you can make divisions just by pressing the key with this symbol ÷, right?
However, if I tell you to calculate the rest with the calculatorHow do you do it? By default the result will be in decimal format but there are several ways to get the value of the remainder.
Formula to calculate the remainder with the calculator
The first is by manual calculation, which never fails. To do this, we will apply the following formula to calculate the remainder:
Resto = Dividendo - (divisor x cociente)
For example, if we divide 7 by 5, we get a result equal to 1.4. We know that the quotient is the integer part, therefore, it is 1. Now we substitute in the above formula and we have that:
Resto = 7 - (5 x 1) = 2
Easy, isn't it? Let's see another method of calculating the remainder with the calculator.
Division calculator with remainder
If you have a Casio or other brand of scientific calculator in your possession, there is a way to obtain the remainder of a division.
To do this, we solve the operation as usual and when we have the result in decimal format, we press the following keys:
By doing so, the division calculator will show us the result in mixed fraction format. This means that we will be able to see a whole part (quotient) and a fraction whose numerator will be the remainder.
If we apply this to the example we have seen before, this will appear in the calculator display:
This means that the quotient is 1 and the remainder is 2.
If your calculator is more advanced or programmable, you may have the MOD function that calculates the remainder of a division more clearly.
Dividing fractions online
If you want to learn how to divide fractionswe also have a fraction division calculators in which we also show you how to perform the operation, regardless of whether the fractions have the same denominator or different denominators.
Ingeniero de Telecomunicaciones dedicado al mundo de Internet. En esta web te ayudo a hacer cálculos y conversiones sencillas que con el paso de los años se nos ha olvidado cómo se hace. Si tienes dudas, déjame un comentario y te ayudaré. Si quieres mejorar tu proyecto online o necesitas asesoramiento, write me a message.