Calculates the number of beats per minute you have right now in a simple way and without needing a heart rate monitor. To do this, we simply have to count the number of heartbeats we have for 10 seconds and, from there, we can calculate the heart rate in a simple and fast way thanks to the following online calculator:
How to measure heart rate without a heart rate monitor?
There are several methods to be able to measuring heart rate without a heart rate monitor. It is important to know them as this will allow us to check if a person has a pulse in case of an accident or will give us the opportunity to know our pulse without having any medical equipment or pulsometer nearby.
In order to measure our heart rate properly, we have to go to the carotid artery which is located in our neck. We place our index and middle fingers on it and press lightly until we feel the heartbeat.
Another option is use of the dollin the central area just before the hand starts. This is another area that we can use to measure our heart rate during those 10 seconds, allowing us to calculate our current heart rate.
How reliable is this method of determining heart rate?
Knowing the beats per minute using the 10-second count is a reliable method, although not exact to 100%.. During that minute, our body can experience changes that increase or decrease the number of pulsations, so instead of counting 10 seconds, we would have to count for 60 seconds or use a heart rate monitor.
If you are interested in buy a heart rate monitor, here you have a wide variety of equipment Both for home and sports use, all of them being a perfect tool to measure your heart rate frequently and with maximum reliability.
Calculate maximum beats per minute
Calculate the maximum number of beats per minute is important for assessing the working ranges of our heart during physical activity. Although the (220-age) formula is commonly used to calculate the maximum heart rate, our tools are more complete and take into account other factors such as gender and weight.
How to calculate your maximum heart rate during exercise
If you want to to know exactly your maximum heart rate When it comes to sports, here's a simple way to get the most out of your heart:
- Heat for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do five sets of 100 meters running progressively, that is, start slowly and increase the pace until you finish doing a sprint. Rest for one minute between sets to bring your heart rate down a little.
- Run a race (if possible with positive elevation gain, i.e. uphill) of 200 or 300 meters and increase the pace until you reach the sprint. When you think you can't go any further, push yourself a little harder to reach your maximum heart rate.
After performing these three steps, count your heart rate. The ideal is to stay one minute, but another method is to take your heart rate for 10 seconds and multiply the result by six.
The stress test
There are more methods to calculate your maximum heart rate. The so-called stress tests can be performed by a cardiologist and he/she will know exactly what you are capable of.
Depending on your physical condition, it will take you more or less time to complete the test, but after experiencing it, I can only tell you to get ready to sweat..
While you are performing the stress test, the cardiologist will carry an electrocardiogram recording to monitor constants such as blood pressure, amount of oxygen you are able to move, lactic acid level (sometimes not performed).
Tips for good heart health
It has been proven that the heart diseases and cerebrovascular are one of the leading causes of premature death in Spain, which leaves the patient with very high degrees of disability.
As is often the case, these diseases are more pronounced if we lead an unhealthy lifestyle.It is therefore very important to follow these tips to prevent them:
- The diet must be balanced, which implies eating everything without leaving any food group out of the diet.
- It is necessary to limit the consumption of foods with saturated fats, which will help regulate or lower our cholesterol levels.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. It is also positive to increase the consumption of vegetables and legumes.
- Regulate the consumption of salt, alcohol or coffee. Abusing these three components can significantly increase the chances of suffering from cardiovascular disease.
- Of course, you have to stop smoking.
- Control your weight and make sure you are in your ideal weightespecially avoiding obesity.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle and exercise regularly, adapting its intensity to your physical condition and age.
- Reduce stress and anxiety levels. Discontinue all activities or worries that are not worthwhile.
- Keep your social activity high and enjoy your family and friends, they are the best medicine.
By following these tricks, we considerably reduce the risk of suffering from a heart disease that can leave irreversible consequences or even cause death.